Northern Routes

Northern Routes
Norte/Primitivo 796Km(990,000)Steps

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Walking Day 18 Colunga to Villaviciosa

18.5 km. 4:44 hrs.  438m elevation gain with max elevation at 173m.
 


I have to say this was the quietest walk we have had.  We left our less than desirable Hotel at 7:30 without coffee or toast and nothing available anywhere on our walk till about10:30 when a nice country hotel which was not open had a vending machine and water available for Pilgrims.  There were actually three of us that stopped there, all getting pasta salad from the machine.

The Bar next door last night was rocking with one man singing as loud as possible till 4 am.  It didn't bother me but Al was awake due to a resurgence of left leg pain and so that just added to the inability to sleep.
We were only into the walk a few Km when Al expressed that this might just be his last walking day.  When I realized it might be so was when I ended up being ahead of him.  If you think of the pictures they always have Al's back about 25 yards ahead of me. I knew he was in trouble when I got ahead going "uphill".

So we tried to appreciate today's walk
through the woods and think of all the great miles we have enjoyed together and all the truly terrific people we have spent time with and the scenic views we have captured.





Of course I'm disappointed we didn't get to finish by doing the Primitivo route but doing the Camino Norte to the cut off for the Primitivo was awesome.  It has been a joy to spend this time with Al who is the best Pilgrim ever.  



So the final stats:  recorded by Strava
437.8 km or 276 miles in 18 walking days and 2 rest days.  

Two towns on the Primitivo that I really wanted to see are Oviedo and Lugo so that's where we are headed by Alsa bus. So I guess this ends the blog.  


No comments:

Post a Comment